Wednesday, January 23, 2008

As Dora would say...

I did it, I did it, I did it, hooray!!!

And for all those people who are not forced by their kids to watch Dora the Explorer, let's just say I'm doing a little happy dance right now. Any why? Because I made this:


Well, I made most of it. I did have Matt's mum here and she fixed a little bit of the yoke that I mucked up (I made the point of the diamond a little too rounded) and helped me with the back bit that I couldn't for the life of me figure out. But apart from that, it was all me!

I really love it. Matt has been very tactful though, and has simply said it's not my 'usual style', and that it looks very 'well made'....which means he doesn't really like it. And my mum....well.....


First she killed herself laughing, then said that I reminded her of a clown. Oh yeah, loads of support around here...

In desperation, I emailed a finished pic to Matt's mum, who said she liked it and thought it looked very professional - thanks Jen!



So anyway, the pattern is Simplicity #3964 (Built By Wendy pattern), the polkadot blue fabric was some vintage remnant I found in an Op Shop, and the red is a plain cotton homespun. Mum fished the buttons out of a big jar of loose odds and ends in a fabric shop (she thought I would like to use them on a bag, which I would, but I just couldn't help adding them to this top).

So I'm wearing this top today and will be going up the street in it. Let's hope no kiddies come up to me and expect me to honk my nose and give them a balloon!!!

6 comments:

Karen said...

Wow! I LOVE it! Now I don't know what your usual style is but this suits you and looks great. Well done.

Jo said...

It is fantastic!! and it suits you. I would love to have a top like that.

Bec said...

Thank-you both!! After wearing it yesterday and being told I looked a little star-trekky, you have both made me feel better :P

Ulla V. said...

No honking your nose from my part!!

I just found your block on flickr, and think you have made a beautiful top.

The shape suits you and I really like your choice of fabrics...

Ulla :0)
Denmark

Bec said...

Thank-you Ulla, I appreciate you taking the time to say you like it :).

Florence Knapp (Flossie Teacakes) said...

Oh no! I can't believe you've had such a negative response to this top (although not in the commenty bit!) - I love it - it looks beautifully made and I love the colours and all the details. However, that is exactly the type of comment my husband would make too (he actually seems averse to any pattern at all!).

I've so enjoyed looking through your blog...and will no doubt return very soon! x