Sunday, March 23, 2008

Day Seven: Vintage Children's Illustrations


I've saved the best 'till last.

Once again, not one of my own books from my childhood, but one much more precious. This one was my Dad's.


It was his all time favourite book as a child, and the only one that is still around.

Written on the inside cover is:

"Happy Birthday Colin, with love from Nana & Pop. April 19 / 1957"

And next to this is my dad's name, with his address '38 Webb Street, Altona'. I wonder if there is still a house at this address? Any Melbournites from the west of Melbourne reading this???


Anyway, the book is called Stories of 1001 nights, and is a hard cover with thick brown pages, and illustrations that look as though they were painted in watercolour and pen right onto the page. The book is published by Mulder & Zoon, N.V. Amsterdam, and does not state the illustrator. However, the illustrator himself/herself has signed their name on almost every illustration anyway. It is Truus Vinger. I have no idea what nationality this name is. Any ideas anyone?


So this is my most precious children's book, not because it contains my favourite illustrations, but because it was my dad's.


Thanks so much Pip for such a wonderful meme. I have enjoyed both discovering new and gorgeous books and illustrators, and also my own trip down memory lane. Posting every day has been quite hard, but I've really enjoyed the experience.

Happy Easter everyone
xxx

3 comments:

Reenie said...

Hi Bec, according to whereis.com, there is still a Webb St in Altona.

Bird Bath said...

This book looks wonderful, I like how the old books have pages that feel like card.You have done well keeping up the posts all week!Thanks for sharing all that special stuff.

Bec said...

Thanks Serena, I didn't think of checking Whereis. How nice to know the street is still there :)