Hooray! I think I've created the perfect summer dress (for me anyway). I've now worn it two days in a row, and I'm actually sad that I have to take it off to wash it (one of my darling children smeared chocolate all over me yesterday while we were making brownies. Ah well, that'll teach me for forgetting to put my apron on ;)
Anyway, this was the most simple thing to make ever (even easier than the last top I made which I thought was pretty easy! I made it using 100% linen, which was a bit trickier to sew than plain cotton (actually it was probably the cutting out that I found really hard - it moved a LOT!), but it feels so nice on. Very loose, light and airy.
I actually merged two of the patterns from the Built by Wendy Simplicity pattern #3835 by using the pattern for the simple top as the top part of the dress, and the long dress pattern for the body of the dress (this meant I could ditch the yoke, and the zip, which took out all the tricky parts!!). I really love the pockets - you just can't beat pockets on a dress. For anyone venturing into 'Built by Wendy' territory, I highly recommend visiting the Built by Us Flickr group where people post all their Built By Wendy projects. Very inspiring!
I can see many more of these little numbers to come!