Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The perfect dress for summer



Hooray! I think I've created the perfect summer dress (for me anyway). I've now worn it two days in a row, and I'm actually sad that I have to take it off to wash it (one of my darling children smeared chocolate all over me yesterday while we were making brownies. Ah well, that'll teach me for forgetting to put my apron on ;)

Anyway, this was the most simple thing to make ever (even easier than the last top I made which I thought was pretty easy! I made it using 100% linen, which was a bit trickier to sew than plain cotton (actually it was probably the cutting out that I found really hard - it moved a LOT!), but it feels so nice on. Very loose, light and airy.



I actually merged two of the patterns from the Built by Wendy Simplicity pattern #3835 by using the pattern for the simple top as the top part of the dress, and the long dress pattern for the body of the dress (this meant I could ditch the yoke, and the zip, which took out all the tricky parts!!). I really love the pockets - you just can't beat pockets on a dress. For anyone venturing into 'Built by Wendy' territory, I highly recommend visiting the Built by Us Flickr group where people post all their Built By Wendy projects. Very inspiring!

I can see many more of these little numbers to come!

10 comments:

Bird Bath said...

Yes, that looks perfect. I find linen so comfortable to wear in the heat, and the pockets are definately a bonus. I really like the gathered neckline, simply elegant.

bettyninja said...

Oh my that is the perfect summer dress. Linen is just the best fabric and it looks great with the button detail. I have just bought the book sew U by wendy. Even though I was a clothing stylist before- I never actually had to make garments-just pick them out really. So I have cut out the pieces to the simple A line skirt she included in the book. It will be my first piece of clothing that I have made. I think I will try this simple summer dress next. It looks right up my alley

vanessa said...

that's just too cute! linen dresses are my favorite. I would like to move somewhere warm just so I can wear them all the time! let's trade weather, cause I have had enough of the damp, dark cold!!

Kelly said...

Such a great, minimalist interpretation of a great pattern! I have yet to make this dress for myself, but it's posts like these that get me excited about it!

Ulla V. said...

I like this dress. I have made some in childrens' sizes which look a bit like yours.

Your dress suits you very well and the colour is also beautiful :0)

Dee said...

Lovely! You are sew clever! (har har)
Very inspiring :)

Bec said...

Thanks so much everyone! Yes, it's hard to beat the feel of linen. I'm glad you like it, and I appreciate the encouragement :)

Bettyninja - I'll keep a look out on your blog for your review of the Sew U book. I'd love to see what you make from it!

Ulla - I'm off to check out your girls' dresses now!

Anonymous said...

Oh I LOVE this dress! Makes me wonder if I could sew one...

Corrie said...

ohhh i've got that pattern and nearly started the dress on the weekend but then couldn't work out where my big pregnant belly would fit in so I might adjust it and make it! yours looks great and I love it in grey...it will look great with a little cardy for winter!

Corrie:)

Anonymous said...

Wow!! Love this cool summer dress...