Monday, October 15, 2007

Making and baking

Finally managed to grab myself some sewing time, thanks to Kate having magnificent daytime sleeps, Lee being very good at playing next to me in the Rumpus room while I sewed, and me ignoring a decent portion of housework! Although, in fairnes to myself, I did spend the first part of the week cleaning the house like a demon, as we had Mother's Group at our place for the first time in months and months, so I was maybe just a 'bit' obsessed with having the place looking nice. But for the rest of the week I decided it was going to be all fun stuff. Big crayon murals and playing on the swings for the kids, and sewing and baking during naptime for me. Fun fun fun!

I have decided I LOVE our new oven - I even made scones this week that wouldn't break a window if hurled at it. And for Mother's group I made these mini quiches:


They were YUM, and I froze a heap which I've been eating for lunch all week. I also had time to sew this up - I've had the pieces all cut out for ages:


It is the "Charming Handbag" pattern from Amy Karol's "Bend-the-rules Sewing" book. It didn't quite work out as it was supposed to, so it's a bit wonky, but I've still been using it. I love the fabric which was an old pillowcase I found in an op-shop. I think it's from the 70s. Reminds me of something I might have worn as a child. And I used old plastic buttons from my Grandma's button tin, which I was lucky enough to inherit. So I figure what this "Charming Handbag" lacks in finesse, it makes up with charm!

I then had another crack at a bag, combining the Tote style (from the same book) with the Charming Handbag pattern, to come up with this:



It is closer to what I would like to create, but still not quite what I'm after. I think next time I might try using either pleats or gathers in the top so it 'scrunches' a bit more. And using linen was maybe not the smartest move, as the crinkled look is not so great. I do like the yo-yo flower brooch pinned on it though. I made it ages ago but didn't really have a use for it. Now it has a home!

And lastly, today I noticed Kate's only hat is now too small, so I made this:



I used some of the lovely Heather Bailey fabric from her Freshcut line, which I've been saving to make something for Kate. The pattern is just a New Look one from Spotlight. It turned out ok, although I think it is a bit high - would be a good fit for Bert, but I think next time I might try and make it a bit more "Ernie" shaped, if you know what I mean. Also, it only JUST fits Kate - wwwaaaaa. So I guess in about two weeks we will need another one. Oh well, a good excuse to perfect the pattern I guess. By the way, does't Humpty look particularly pleased wearing the hat? Maybe when Kate has grown out of it she will hand it down to him.

No comments: