Sunday, June 28, 2009

If listening to me rabbit on about myself is about as interesting as watching paint dry, then look away now...

Or perhaps this post would be better named "I am unworthy". Because for some bizarre reason I have been the lucky recipient of a few blog awards lately. Which is weird because I always feel a bit guilty that I go too long between posts, and then when I finally get around to posting, it's often late and I'm tired and I end up doing some big long self-indulgent waffle....ahem...yes, much like this one...

But hey, I guess some people like waffles. Boom boom!!!

So anyway, I am very honored to have been given a Lovely Blog Award from Kate of One Flew Over, Rebecca of Edward and Lilly, and Amy from Grey Grid Paper. And a Love Ya award for being exceedingly charming by Helen from Ruby 2 Go Go and Ali from Charlie and Grace. Each one of these ladies writes an amazingly wonderful blog (check them out and you'll instantly see why I feel unworthy!)

However I'm going to be a wuss about passing these awards on (plus a list of 60+ blogs might get a bit overwhelming) and just direct you to my blog roll. In fact, this has been a reminder to update it, as my blog wanderings seem to be far and wide at present. There's just so many interesting, talented, creative and articulate people out there blogging these days. Totally inspiring!!!

I've also been tagged by the ever so lovely Steph from Bondville, with what might possibly be the longest tag-interview in the history of blogland!!! So I won't be at all offended if you would like to tune out now. Maybe just talk amongst yourselves or something. Otherwise, here's a little insight into some of the minutiae of my life:

Q. What's your favourite colour?
Red. Though it's not a colour I wear a whole lot, I love having little splashes of it around. I love our red tiles in the kitchen, and my latest fav red thing is our letterbox. Matt made it. All his own design and construction. He can be quite creative when he wants to be!


Q. What's your favourite clothing in your wardrobe?
My cotton summer dresses. They make me feel like I'm 7 years old.


Q. What's your dream job?
I'm livin' the dream baby! Actually, I really am. Although I never imagined my dream job would be to stay at home with the kids and run a hobby business that involves sewing!!! But it turns out it IS my dream job. I can't think of a single other thing I'd rather do every day. I love how even when the kids are having one of their feral moments and I give in to my inner fishwife (i.e. screeching at the kids), that they only have to say "sorry mum" and suddenly I'm on my knees hugging them and all is forgiven and we never think of it again. That NEVER happens in the corporate world :P

Q. What's the last thing you bought?
Er, petrol for the car. For me specifically, it was some gorgeous gift tags from the lovely Anastasia from Percival Road.

Q. What are you listening to right now?
Princess Natasha (kids cartoon) the washing machine humming, and a dog barking in the distance....If I had my ipod with me I'd be listening to Kate Miller Heidke.


Q. Whats your favourite ice cream?
Chocolate. And not the fancy type, like toblerone. Just plain chocolate.


Q. What's your favourite fruit?
A good juicy peach like the ones that used to grow on the tree in our front yard where I grew up. Very hard to find these days.


Q. What inspires you?
My kids' imagination, colour, stories, poems, zen, my veggie garden.


Q. Whats on the walls of your bedroom?
Lots of marks. It really needs painting....


Q. Who is your favourite artist?
Oh goodness. SO hard. I think Elsita is an amazing artist, and inspiring person. I love this little print of one of her drawings that we have at our front door.


I adore the customised art prints I bought from Amanda from Twinkle Star Art last year for the kids and their cousins.


I also think Tracy from Hey Harriet is an incredible artist, and I have quite a few of her little pieces now. This TTV photo I have of hers makes me giggle every time I look at it! For me good art is something that makes me smile every time I look at it, no matter how many times I've already seen it....



Q. Do you admire anyone's style?
Oooh, so so many people. Ranna from Only Shallow (so girly, so vintage, so quirky!!), Elly from Ellybeth on Flickr (oozes casual style and makes many of her own clothes), and oh, and I'm finding the Braid Wednesday group on Flickr really inspiring too . I've even been inspired to try out the Heidi Hair that was featured on the Meet Me At Mikes blog. Here's my very quick and rough attempt......


Q. Describe your personal style.
He he...mutton dressed as lamb :P

Q. What language would you like to learn?
Italian. I'd love to be able to say something more than "Dario non e sempre in ritardo..."

Q. What is your favourite quote (for now)?
Never trouble trouble 'till trouble troubles you.....no idea where it came from - I remember hearing it as a kid somewhere.

Q. What is your favourite magazine?
Peppermint Magazine - Fresh. Green. Fashion. Truly inspirational, and the only glossy (eco of course) I ever buy regularly.


But if we're talking 'zines', then I'd have to say MixTape - indie awesomeness at its best.


Q. If you had $100 what would you spend it on?
A lunch date with Matt. Or a hot stone massage - never had one before. Always wanted one...

Q. What is your current obsession?
Sweet and Salty popcorn. Seriously. Don't laugh until you've tried it.

Q. What are you wearing today?
Jeans, campers, singlet, t-shirt, long sleeve t-shirt, bomber jacket, crocheted beanie, scarflette, leather gloves. OK, I should put this in context and tell you I'm about to head out to the Rocklea Twilight market for some fruit & veggie shopping, and wood-fired pizza for dinner. The food will be great, the produce sensational, and the music live and atmospheric. But it'll be COLD!!!!!

Q. What's for dinner?
Oops, just answered this. Vegetarian wood fired pizza, and maybe a hot jam donut for dessert :)

Q. What would you eat for your last meal?
The best and freshest sushimi and sushi rolls I could get my hands on, with loads of wasabi. And an Asahi beer to go with it.


Q. What do you think of the person who tagged you? Friendly, warm, humourous, sincere, ethical and enthusiastic.

Q. If you could have a house paid for and furnished anywhere in the world what/where would it be?
A huge property somewhere in the northern New South Wales hinterland, with multiple modest little eco-cottages on it, and one big communal pavillion with a huge table so that our extended family could all live nice and close and in walking (or riding) distance from each other, without actually living on top of each other, and the pavillion would be where we could have our family dinner parties. There would also be a big communal veggie garden, and an orchard, and a big mountain-biking track in the native bushland reserve (that would be part of the property). This would be for Matt and Kym's benefit of course....Oh and Jade and I would have a big separate sewing studio too, and we'd need a super big shed/workshop....and everything would be solar powered and ecologically sound. Ahhhhh.....ok, time to stop dreaming now. Sorry. Got a bit carried away there....

Q. Do you collect something? Buttons, fabric, books, crockery that takes my fancy....



Q. What is your pet peeve?
Being cold. Being cold just makes me cranky. Being cold can just go away and stand in the corner and have a good think about itself. It can came back out when it has warmed up a bit.

Q. What's the most important rule for life?
If you have lots of regrets then you're spending too much time in the past. If you have lots of worries, then you're spending too much time in the future. Staying in the here and now is the best way to happiness. Easier said than done though of course. Oh, and drink lots of tea. That's a pretty good rule too :)

16 comments:

Gina said...

You know, these kind of posts are actually very interesting, so don't feel like it's not going to be read.
And yes, I've finally delurked after a few months!

One Flew Over said...

Your blog is nothing like watching the paint dry!

trash said...

Windows into other people's lives is fabulous fun.

The picture of the Enid Blyton spines took me straight back to my childhood.

ellie said...

You must book in for a hot stone massage straight after the markets. I've only ever had one in my life; but it was amazing. Something that we all deserve - so go and do it. (Stephanie's at Bulimba was pretty good, and would cost you most of the $100 - but so so so worth it).
Your home dream - totally, exactly mine. Almost the same. (though I only dream for the extended family to have visiting and not living space!).
Saw you on tv tonight - you sounded great. Very intelligent and passionate. Was small little segment, but so lovely to see you.

See you Saturday. (you still up for a swap?).

n o o k said...

Hey Bec,
I'm with you on the cold and the tea. Right now I'm cold and I need tea ;)
Great answers all round!
-Michelle.

amy said...

i love your button collection :) and i remember reading all those enid blyton books when i was younger, wish i still had them! some very lovely things to collect :)

littlechrissy said...

Bec I kid you not you have just described exactly what Damien and I are planning on doing when we move back to far north coast of NSW. Please come and join our commune!

Hey Harriet said...

I feel rather silly coz I was here the other night commenting on the post above and as I was scrolling down to leave a comment here I had to quickly abandon the computer (I think dinner may have been burning or something) and I forgot to come back until just now! Anyway, congrats on your awards! I really enjoyed reading your list!!! Thanks so much for the lovely mention and the inclusion of the TtV pic! You are such a sweetie! xo

Erin Kate said...

I love that crown like braid.

Stacey said...

I love a meme and yours was nothing at all like watching paint dry.

I too love red. I wear it a lot, but love little touches of it here and there too.

Your letterbox is fab.

Anonymous said...

I completely missed this post when I last visited. I found it very interesting, definitely more interesting than watching paint dry and even more interesting then cricket (don't tell my retired cricketer husband I said that).

I would love to try some of that sweet and salty popcorn. I'm a big popcorn fan :)

Anonymous said...

Actually I find watching paint dry more interesting than cricket, so just disregard that I even mentioned cricket. In fact, disregard my last comment as I don't think it come across how I meant it too. Except for the popcorn bit ;)

Seriously, I love reading memiors of creatives and I totally enjoyed reading yours! I can really relate to your life and so pleased that you, like me, are living your dream job!

Holly Cottingham said...

Absolutely with you there on the dream house front. I hadn't thought of having other little cottages around the main house but I'm very much liking the idea.... :D

Rachael said...

Dario e sempre in ritardo! Oh that makes me laugh, brings back memories of year 8 Italian again...

apparentlyjessy said...

Not boring at all! I found this post really interesting. I really like what you collect, and found your most important rule for life really true and inspirational!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love your perfect home description!

I've been so slack about visiting my blog friends lately - your posts always make me smile and this post is just great!