Monday, June 16, 2008

Flower power

I think I've been channeling my inner hippie lately....


Genuine flower power pants for Kate, made from a 1970s pattern. The fabric is a really fine corduroy, and it sits beautifully. Made in under an hour during her nap. I love projects like this - ie. instant gratification.

And a new reversible bag for the shop.


This fantastic fabric was actually an ironing board cover.


Reverse side is made from blockout curtain fabric.


Art cards (or ACEOs) from Jellygnite - an Etsy purchase I couldn't resist.


They are now making me smile as they brighten up my sewing space.


They came in a gorgeous package with a lovely postcard and little handmade notebook too. Isn't it funny how the packaging and little extras count for so much? It just feels so thoughtful and personal. You don't get that from ordering things from big corporate companies :). Oh, and Ali has also started a new blog (called Charlie and Grace), full of everything from art, craft, sewing, book reviews, and lots of retro loveliness! I highly recommend it - check it out :)

Lastly, I know I'm late for the 'this is...' meme (the theme this week, as chosen by Quilting Mick, is the space in which I create). But I still can't decide if I can bear to show you my sewing space in all its messy glory. It's really a disgrace at the moment, and I'm worried that a photo of it might be, like, oversharing, you know? And I know, I could just clean it up - but (puts whiny voice on now) I have SOOOOO much to do this week, and if I start then I won't be able to stop there, and I'll end up cleaning and sorting the whole rumpus room, and then I'll notice the outdoor area under the deck and suddenly I'll be sweeping and tidying and gardening, and sorting out sand-pit toys.....aaaaahhhhhh. A job for next weekend I think (*wink*)....

Oh bugger it. Here it is, don't say I didn't warn you!


Slinking away to feel embarrassed now....

16 comments:

flossy-p said...

It looks awesome to me, I actually can't notice any mess in this photo, just looks like projects in progress to me. Great space, so much desk space too, ooo I'd have fun in there!

Hot Fudge said...

Ooooo!! I think I had a pair of pants like that back in the early 70s! How cool and funky are they! And I'll never look at my ironing board in the same light now - not that it gets much attention, mind you.

Your studio makes me want to weep. I have designated footsteps to enter my room - it's a death trap for the un-initiated. I see your industrial machine has already reserved a central spot for herself.

Jacinta said...

I wouldn't worry about it - in fact I would be thrilled to have such a space! It actually looks pretty organised to me! Besides, look at all your creations! Obviously it works a treat.
I love the hippie pants you made for Kate. Very cool.

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

Some lovely lots of retro-ness there! Those pants are so funky and remind me of what my mum used to dress me in around that age.

I love your space - there's so much space! Don't worry about the mess, that's what a good creative space should look like. Mind you, I was too excited checking out your new machine in the photo, I didn't notice much else ;)

Bird Bath said...

Your space looks fine...mighty fine! I felt a bit shy about sharing my cluttered space but the fact is when I get in there, time stands still - I get completely engrossed and I think that's what counts. Those funky pants rock!

Anonymous said...

Your craft space looks brilliant - like you actually make work in it instead of a pose-y one all set up for a photoshoot.

Those ACEO's are so lovely and great little hippy trousers too!

Sherrin said...

I love your space Bec! It looks like somewhere you could be really productive. (Is that THREE sewing machines I can see??)

Cute pants, too... and I love the new bag.

I'm loving your new ATC's also, very sweet. :o)

Rachel said...

I can't believe you finished those pants in under an hour! Great work!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love the atmosphere of your craft space - I'm just a teeny bit envious since I don't have one - we just don't have an extra room in the house. Every time I'm sewing, I need to bring everything out to the dinner table. It works, but it is not the optimal solution... Great pants too - and I love the cards you ordered! ;)

Black Eyed Susie said...

Hi Bec, Don't you just love it when you can actually do something from start to finish during a nap. The fact that I don't often manage is what I blame the mess in my workspace (which regularly moves into the dining room too)on. I have to say that I'm jealous of your workspace - it looks great.

Wanted to let you know that I put your bag up on my blog http://blackeyedsusie.blogspot.com

CurlyPops said...

I love those pants...they're unreal! The printed cord is just so cute!

Ali said...

Hi Bec (thanks for the little plug :D)
I love your 'instant gratification' pants! (oops, sounds a bit rude...) - the fabric looks great - love corduroy, and LOVE naptime projects
Your sewing space is fantastically busy and looks great - I like the Belle and Boo images too
:) x

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

That's not that messy at all. I know what you mean about when you start cleaning up and you have to keep going.

Bianca said...

looooove your etsy package, those art cards are fabulous, thanks for sharing!

Stacey said...

heehehe I picked exactly the same fabric for some pants for Kira! Hi btw ;).

Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)