Friday, November 2, 2007

Dreaming in technicolour



Last night I dreamed about bags. The night before, when I couldn't sleep, I was thinking about bags. It all started with my mum. On the weekend she gave me a tablecloth that had belonged to my Grandma. The next day, it became my tote.



Working with Grandma's old fabric also sparked lots of lovely childhood memories of fun times spent with her when she was still around. She always encouraged my imaginative world, and we often collected 'treasures' on our walks together. Then early in the week I visited an Op-Shop and found the hugest stash of great fabric, with lots of 60s and 70s style prints. Ever since then I have been madly drawing and sewing, trying out new shapes and designs. The main problem is that I don't really know how to sew - properly that is. A lot of what I do is trial and error, so I'm sure I am doing many things the hard way, construction-wise. But what the hey! I'm having fun. These are the two latest bags:





And I've realised what it is about these great fabrics that has me all excited and inspired. Somehow they remind me of the rich imaginative world I lived in as a child. For years I was obsessed with Enid Blyton's Fairy Stories, The Magic Faraway tree, and the Naughtiest Girl in the School stories. And I loved movies like Alice in Wonderland, Wizard of Oz and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as much for their saturated colour as for their story. So anyway, it is these types of worlds that the old fabrics remind me of. At least it's keeping my head-space colourful!

On a much more mundane note, I took some time out from bag-making and made a pair of pants for Kate out of some of the Heather Bailey fabric I had left over (after making the hat that was too small). Unfortunately I forgot to take a photo before they got washed (and I am too lazy to iron them right now) so they're pretty crinkled. But you get the idea...



Looking forward to the weekend. Somehow I think there may be more bag-making. Lucky Christmas is coming (guess what everyone will be getting...he he...). Here's to a fun weekend!

No comments: